Monday 23 June 2014

Monday Mural: Midsummer's Eve with The Enid @therealenid



Midsummer’s Eve watching The Enid at Bury Met Theatre was a pretty good experience. 

I love The Enid’s stage backdrop mural- (my contribution to this week's Monday Mural). I imagine everyone reads different things into it but for me the face and the acorns, leaves and lines all evoke natural aspects: woodlands, good and bad, light and shade, which are reflected in the moving music they make- a hybrid of classical music meets intelligent rock music. Where there are lyrics they touch on romanticism and our links to nature, where there are none, then the music does the talking (all IMHO!).

Hearing the band play Summer from The Spell, the whole of the (self-parody-title?) Aerie Faerie Nonsense album and tracks from the recent powerful Invicta and Journey's End albums left the full house very happy. Nice to see a wide of ages and both genders represented in the audience. Encoring with the gripping Dark Hydraulic is always a good move, too.

The band and their music have always been part of the counter-culture for me- doing their own thing, away from the mainstream and record labels’ commercial demands. These days they have a couple of original members in their 60s but the band will live on through the other members in their 20s and 30s. See them live when you can and hear them online too.  They are touring and playing various festivals at present as well as heading to eastern Germany to record a new album. I can't wait... If you don't yet know of the band, look them up at The Enid and on YouTube etc.





5 comments:

  1. That does my eyes in. Well captured there

    ReplyDelete
  2. This reminds me of the psychedelic light shows at the Fillmore. But more figural. I love the shape of acorns and oak leaves. Do you think it's because I live in Oak-land? Thanks, Chrissy, for contributing to this week's Monday Mural.

    ReplyDelete

Ratings and Recommendations by outbrain