Thursday 8 March 2012

International Women's Day: (Wo)manchester to St. Petersburg

The St. Petersburg Russian restaurant in central Manchester.

Happy International Women's Day to all women (and men!). There are a series of events going on in Manchester today and over the next weekend, with details at: http://www.manchester.gov.uk/info/200041/equality_and_diversity/5021/international_womens_day/1

To celebrate International Women's Day the Manchester and St. Petersburg Friendship Society is running a half-day event on Saturday at the Zion Centre in Hulme for anyone with an interest in Russian culture, starting with Russian lunch (borsch and blinyi), followed by talks on various aspects of women’s lives. These include a round table talk about women peacemakers, a workshop on Russian costume, and a short Russian musical performance by members of the Balalaika Orchestras, Kalinka and Kalina, featuring a female Russian vocalist. 

The event will enable people who participate to celebrate and exchange culinary, linguistic and musical skills, and to learn a little about the lives of Russian women in Russia and Manchester. It also marks the 50th anniversary of the official links between the two cities– the “Ties of Friendship” agreement. Saturday 10 March from 1.00 to 5.00 p.m. at the Zion Arts Centre, 335 Stretford Road, Hulme, M15 5ZA: http://manchesterstpetersburgsoc.org.uk/

This is something that would have been of great interest to me but I am already busy that day, going to a Batmitzvah in London. Rather than be too disappointed I'll just remind myself how lucky I am to be surrounded by so many varied and interesting options!

7 comments:

  1. that would be interesting to attend...my great grandparents on my mother's side came from russia :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. A lot is going on there, nice events indeed! Have a great women´s day, Chrissy:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Women's Day! I am involved with a women's group and for some reason we celebrated last month. I thought it had already passed. Hope you enjoy some of the activities.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think your alternative engagement will be pretty interesting too Chrissy, enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Once I was invited to have Borsch, must be close to three decades ago now, thank you for the memories. Please have a wonderful Friday.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful blue lights in the windows!You always show beautiful buildings and facades!Thanks for sharing!
    Léia

    ReplyDelete
  7. I happened to witness this event. All I can say is that it is amazing and beautiful. The memories and experiences were the one that I value the most. Looking forward to another fantastic International Women's Day next year!

    ReplyDelete

Ratings and Recommendations by outbrain