Tuesday 27 March 2012

British Spring Time: Narcissus is turned to a flower


It may have been a summery 20°C and hotter for the past week here in the north-west and the clocks are now on British Summer Time, but these daffodils in a proudly kept front garden are a sure sign of British Spring Time. Daffodils are a common name for the narcissus.  Linked to the Ruby Tuesday blog.

We turn to Wikipedia for more information on narcissi and daffs: The youth of Greek mythology Narcissus became so obsessed with his own reflection as he kneeled and gazed into a pool of water that he fell into the water and drowned. In some variations, he died of starvation and thirst from just sitting by the edge of the pool until he gave out, gazing at his reflection until he died. In both versions, the Narcissus plant first sprang from where he died.The other derivation is that the plant is named after its narcotic properties (narkao, "I grow numb" in Greek).

The name Daffodil is derived from an earlier "Affodell". The reason for the introduction of the initial "d" is not known, although a probable source is an etymological merging from the Dutch article "de," as in "De affodil."

16 comments:

  1. Daffodil are beautiful flowers!I love your composition, adorable garden there!
    Hugs
    Léia

    ReplyDelete
  2. My all time favourite flower, they remind me of the sun. Happy spring, I am excited for autumn, and then beautiful winter :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely photo - and thank you SO much for the education on the daffodils and narcissus... to me they are the harbinger of spring, even though we have a flower or two that may beat them blooming...but I am always happy when I see them start popping out of the ground!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a lovely colourful photo. Thanks for the info on daffodils: I'd taken them for granted without thinking about their history and names.

    ReplyDelete
  5. P.S. I'm your latest follower, found you over at Ruby Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful! I love this shot. Happy RT2.

    Mine's here.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous colourful image Chrissy, England in spring is blooming fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your colorful capture :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. How colorful! I love the angle of this shot.

    My entries:
    Moms...Check Nyo
    Yummy-as-can-be

    ReplyDelete
  10. A picture, so very beautiful.

    Please have a good Wednesday.

    ReplyDelete
  11. They are beautiful! A bright sign of spring. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gorgeous!

    Please come and have some strawberries at my blog. Your comment will be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful flowers..Happy Spring!

    Visiting for RT-2- hope you can stop by:)

    http://dsahmblogs.com/2012/03/my-comfy-earrings.html

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wonderful!
    I love the English gardens, and you get spring before we do!:)

    ReplyDelete

Ratings and Recommendations by outbrain