Friday 15 March 2013

At sixes and sevens with all in ones


From time to time I like to cover fashion ideas here on the blog and perhaps the most discussed fashion item among all generations in the past year has been the ubiquitous all in ones, or onesies as the tabloid press like to call them. 

Interestingly they are not a women-only item- famous men from One Direction (All in one Direction?) Nick Clegg, to Brad Pitt have fessed up to owning a pair. (What is the collective term for a single onesie?!)

I think I have run through a full range of emotions about the one-piece. From initial suspicion and dislike through acceptance to now embracing the idea, both as an item to lounge around in at home, and, if you have the right figure and face, as a stylish spring wear item. Yes, I can see the appeal in wearing certain versions of them outdoors, well for city life anyway, to galleries, bars and restaurants. But the plain version works outdoors better than the multi-coloured romper suits which are surely best suited for Friday night family telly on the sofa only?

The all in one seemed to be the gift that everyone got last Christmas. Checking Facebook over the festive season I was astonished to see many middle aged friends luxuriating in their all in ones, beaming at the camera and looking rather cosy. His and her versions and child sizes were equally popular. Although we are now heading into spring, the chilly nights and dawns will still be with us for many a long month. So there is much to be said for coming home from work and changing into clothing that’s warm and snug, a kind of comfort clothing to go with comfort eating. Fluffy dressing gowns are nice but can be draughty and tracksuit bottoms outside of the gym are not really my thing.-unless I am feeling ill and crashed out.

So there is something to be said for all season all in ones. At first I thought they were strictly for indoors and many of them are aimed at that market. Looking around the High Street, they are still very much en vogue, and New Look's range of all in ones are as enticing and as competitively priced as any I have seen so far.

Keeping the impetus going, some all in ones have a seasonal theme- if you have the right sense of humour then wearing a bright yellow chick outfit for Easter could go down well. I have seen cute baby pink piglet all in ones and many Dalmatians and zebras. If I were to choose an indoor one myself I’d go for the City Print (see New Look link above).

As to my wearing one outdoors, I would like to have the courage to-they remind me of the jumpsuits popularised in the 1970s, and of course some people such as Cheryl Cole can carry them off well, like the animal print version she wore to visit the Eiffel Tower. All-black would be the only version you’d get me wearing outside though, so I’m off to see what I can find…

3 comments:

  1. I'm really not down with the onesies, but this post is hilarious :) Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck finding the right onesie Chrissy! We had a wear what you like day in aid of Red Nose Day at work today and one of the youngsters (male) turned up in a onesie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So funny Chrissie.. I think I agree with you in that for lounging around at home keeping cosy they'd be fab, especially the leopard print, super sexy haha! But as for going out in public, yes if I could be sure I looked like Cheryl Cole :)

    ReplyDelete

Ratings and Recommendations by outbrain