Thursday 7 March 2013

All booked up at All Saints #worldbookday


Book stall at All Saints on Tuesday.

I'm always happy to mention World Book Day which, although its main purpose is to encourage children to dip into the wonderful world of literature, can apply to all ages.

Recently I've read Garrison Keillor's Pilgrims and Kerrie Wood Thomson's Diary of A Public Radio Slave. Books I'm part-way through are are the first Ivy Malone mystery by Lorena McCourtney, John Osbourne's Radio Head, Caitlan Moran's How to be a woman, something by Poland's great and late Stanislaw Lem, oh, and I have finally almost finished Mark Twain's Huckleberry Finn. I'm also investigating some Frasier fan fiction. Have you read any good books lately?... 

While on the subject why not read my latest guest post for 4 Manchester Women, Lava, lunar landscapes and Cesar Manrique- that’s Lanzarote.

World Book Day was "designated by UNESCO as a worldwide celebration of books and reading, and is marked in over 100 countries around the globe. The origins of the day we now celebrate in the UK and Ireland come from Catalonia, where roses and books were given as gifts to loved ones on St George's Day – a tradition started over 90 years ago."

7 comments:

  1. Very nice and cultural market, I guess you can find treasures there! :)
    Good reading!
    Léia

    ReplyDelete
  2. How nice that it didn't rain and deny people the pleasure of browsing through the display of books. When I worked in Manchester city centre I spent many happy hours going round the second-hand bookstalls in Shudehill and Church Street.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Enjoyed your article about Lanzarote on 4 Manchester Women Chrissy..it does sound like a great spot for a family holiday, made all the more interesting by the efforts of Cesar Manrique. As for what I'm reading (when I get the time!) I'm re reading Earnest Hemingway's books 'Across the River and into the Trees' right now, am enjoying!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful seeing folks looking at books rather than their mobile phones. Lovely sunny day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ahh, I didn't think of looking up Oxford Road. Went to Waterstones, (both) went to John Rylands, wondered the streets... Saw no sign of world book day. Boo. Love a good book stall though!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful where alike is possible, and happening.

    Please have a good Friday ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like we missed each other taking pictures of this book stall. I did it on my blog as well! I'd like to see more of this kind of thing in the city, maybe more book stalls around All Saint's and an arts market as well as it's close to the Art College.

    ReplyDelete

Ratings and Recommendations by outbrain