Friday 18 May 2012

Monsal, from railway to trail way


We went on a hike along the Monsal Trail in the Peak District over the May Day holiday. The Midland Railways line from Manchester to London was built in the 1860s but was closed in 1968 by Transport Minister Barbara Castle.

The Peak District National Park reopened the route for walkers and cyclists in 1981 and the stretch from Wyedale to Bakewell now makes for a fascinating 16 mile round walk, surrounded by wildlife, industrial heritage and 350 million year old limestone cliffs. 
(It is 37 miles by road from the centre of Manchester to Bakewell).

There are many railway tunnels to walk through such as these at Cheetor, although the diversions around the tunnels, be they over the tops or around the River Wye valley, are more scenic.

My monthly guest post at the Smitten By Britain blog is about the National Trust property at Kingston Lacy in Dorset. Read all about it:
http://www.smittenbybritain.com/2012/05/guest-post-kingston-lacy-dorset/

11 comments:

  1. We call it "Rails to Trails" here in the States and it's a fantastic idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Railway to trail way is also happening here in Canada. I like the way you captured the "vanishing point" in your photo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great tunnel shot and thanks for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Being a bit claustrophobic I'd be taking the 'scenic route' for sure Chrissy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks like the perfect place to ride my bike! Now, how to get the bike there...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with Judy - great place for my bike. And a terrific photo!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Favourite place! Great picture, memories of kids thundering through on their bikes and being a bit startled when motor bike riders purred through.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the Peak District. That would be an incredible walk.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Old railways make excellent pathways. Good shot.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ah! Wonderful memories of walking this trail from the days when I lived in Derbyshire....I love the Peak District.

    ReplyDelete
  11. As mentioned above, we have rails to trail in the states as well. But where I am in Michigan it's flat as can be. No hills, no tunnels, no valleys. Just a long straight flat path. No round trip either. I haven't figured out how to get back yet. So if you find yourself nearby, would you be so kind to give me a ride home.

    ReplyDelete

Ratings and Recommendations by outbrain