Wednesday 2 September 2015

ABC Wednesday: "H" is for Hanging Ditch


ABC Wednesday this week finds me at a nice old building in the eerily named street called Hanging Ditch. There was also a Hanging Bridge which in the 14th century connected the Rivers Irk and Irwell here. 

Manchester UK gives two reasons for its name: "...because fullers hung their sheets over the ditch to drain and dry (the fulling-mill is known to have existed in 1282) - hence the long-standing pollution of the River Irk. (There is also a possibility that it was the site of an old gallows, and that felons were, in fact, hanged here)".




8 comments:

  1. I prefer to think of the hanging sheets Chrissy :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me too I prefer hanging sheetsn :) ! Beautiful house !

    Gattina
    ABC Wednesday Team
    http://gattina-keyholepictures.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like this distinguished bldg
    ROG, ABCW

    ReplyDelete
  4. At this moment i do know know if i like this building or dislike... i think its strange ;-)

    Have a nice day
    Melody abc-w-team)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting building, I prefer sheets but I bet it's the other.
    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the building, but I wonder about the ditch (as it's not clear from history) - anyways, I like the contrast that the sun gave you in this capture!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hanging sheets are definitely preferable to getting hung! Quite distinctive architecture.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the architecture of this building and enjoyed hearing the background about the sheets.

    Leslie
    abcw team

    ReplyDelete

Ratings and Recommendations by outbrain