Tuesday 3 July 2012

Shudehill shudders, Lower Turk's Head needs some love



Looking down on Shudehill to the "greasy spoon" by the name of The Abergeldie cafe and its neighbouring fast food joint. This was a modern bar or shop for a while, hence the gentrification of the green flats above, now in disrepair.

Russell Davies’ blog reviews the Abergeldie- he has a predilection for cholesterol judging by his "egg bacon chips and beans" blog, or maybe he is being ironic?

An abandoned pub- the Lower Turk's Head, has a lovely frontage and dates from circa 1780. You would think it is surely ripe for some Northern Quarter refurbishment but maybe not when you discover it went on the market a year ago for a staggering £1.1 million!
http://www.manchesterconfidential.co.uk/Property/Lower-Turks-Head-up-for-grabs-pics

There is an Upper Turk's Head a little further north on the road out of town I hear. I must see if it's still there...

The Shudehill book shop is hard to miss in its garish yellow and black, next to an electronics store. It pays to look above the shop frontages to get a feel of an area's history, and in today's case, to look down on them too.

16 comments:

  1. How did you get high enough to get this shot? Were you on the roof of the bus station?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great perspective. £1.1 million does seem slightly overpriced, wonder what the interior is like?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like Gerald, I was wondering how you managed to get above street level. Do tell.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this shot Chrissy. I would move to the neighborhood.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I walked up to the top storey of a car park to take it...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Chrissy,
    Amazing picture, I like the angle a lot, looks like a "toys world".The buildings are beautiful!Charming street there.
    Léia

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Chrissy,
    I often wondered why the Lower Turks Head remained empty and now I understand! I have always loved that building. It's a great photo x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Quite the picture! - I almost get vertigo just looking at it, much less looking off of your carpark.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Chrissy! What fun to catch your blog and see a photo of something we took a photo of when we were there! Reminded me again of what a great night it was, visiting with you and wandering around Manchester.
    We are two nights away from our last of the vacation, and our first night with you still stands out as one of my favorite times! Thanks again for taking a chance on a blog stranger and metting up with us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thanks Sandi, I have been following your travels at your blog and so pleased that London and France were fun amd a great success for you all too. I had a really lovely evening showing you all around my adopted city ;-)

      Delete
  10. I very much like the angle of this shot. I am rarely up that far to look down on anything like this. What a shame the green flats are in such disrepair! 1.1 pounds sounds a tad steep for that place, but what do I know?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wishing that it will find a solution which takes care of these fine buildings, that are certainly a beautiful sight.

    Please have a good Wednesday.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mmm, you had me at greasy spoon. I love this angle and how you caught the whole street.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm not sure about the 'Thomas H use Luxury Apartments' above the greasy spoon.

    ReplyDelete
  14. FANTASTIC NEWS!!
    AT LAST... The Lower Turks Head at 36 Shudehill, Manchester is due to re-open early August 2013, with a great selection of real cask ales, premium beers and lagers, delicious food on our first floor restaurant, beer garden and also incorporating wine bar at 34 Shudehill ( next door ). Sure hit for the ladies ;) Will keep you posted on any more news.

    ReplyDelete

Ratings and Recommendations by outbrain