Saturday 24 March 2012

A wealthy Windsor woman



A small crowd of 400 to 500 gathered yesterday to see Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Philip. I gave up waiting as I had to get back to work.

She was in Manchester and Salford for a tea party with 1000 community champions at a hastily revamped urban garden at Manchester Central, and to unveil a temporary diamond garden in the square named after her great-great grandfather Albert. She also "opened" Media City (which actually opened a year ago) and visited a hospital or two. It's part of her 60 years of being a monarch tour.

Personally I would say that that about 25% of the UK are in support of a monarchy, about 25% are against and want a republic, and about 50% are apathetic with no strong view.

More facts the UK mass media don’t tell you about the Royal Family.

See also the Signs, Signs blog for a selection of diverse signs from around the world this week.

11 comments:

  1. What the heck goes on at a real tea party? Are they real? hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tea party in theory = polite conversation, little sandwiches, possibly scones and jam, small pieces of cake, cups of tea. But 1000 people is far too large! And I'm not sure who would be more bored- the royal party or the people invited...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chrissy great picture but even better comment on the Royal Tea party!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I bet those 1000 people would have been as chuffed as anything to be invited Chrissy, we have a thing here that goes on continually and has done for as long as I can remember about whether Australia should do away with the Queen (not literally haha) but it just carries on, can't be enough support, let's face it she's pretty well loved!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This morning I heard that some nut was arrested while drunk and climbing (!) Windsor's Castle walls, reaching near Her Majesty's room...
    I wonder what he would have come up with... Maybe a kiss on her cheek to congratulate... :)
    God bless you!
    Cezar

    ReplyDelete
  6. I much enjoy black tea with a trace of lemon after midnight. Great picture. With elections sooner or later over here, peopel might decide what they want. Please have a good Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would probably rather save my invitation and frame it than actually attend the tea party.

    ReplyDelete
  8. the building is beautiful, I love the bits of light from inside
    I'd never have the patience to dress up for a tea party

    ReplyDelete
  9. What does one wear to a tea party, I wonder?
    I bet she will be glad when all this jubilee business is over and she can put her feet up - at home (one of her many)!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm rooting for her to be on the throne long enough to have the longest reign in English history.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Elizabeth Windsor/QEII only has about 4 years to go to beat Victoria Saxe-Coburg as the longest British reigning monarch- she will do that with ease I am sure. I think she will make it to 70 years+ without much trouble.

    What to wear to a tea party? Well one as formal as these would be a summer dress or a suit I think. And you would be able to attend and still keep your invitation and frame it. I have ancestral relations-in-law who attended various royal events in 1901 and in the 1930s and who kept or framed their invites.

    ReplyDelete

Ratings and Recommendations by outbrain