Sunday 11 March 2012

My white bicycle


Well, not mine, but an homage to the famous white bicycles of Amsterdam, a free bike sharing scheme set up in the 1960s. Many cities now have pay as you ride bike schemes, including Helsinki, St Etienne, Lyon, Arlington, Montreal, Stockholm, Washington D.C., Paris and London. (the latter thanks to former mayor Ken Livingstone and not current mayor Boris Johnson who wrongly takes all of the credit). 

Manchester awaits such a scheme but they are not always successful- initiatives in Cambridge (1994) and Bratislava (2001) were abandoned when all the bikes were trashed or stolen...

10 comments:

  1. The "sprinkler" sign is quite large there, I wonder why...
    Thumbs up for the cities that encourage biking!
    God bless you!
    Cezar

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hopefully you'll get it soon. In DC it works really well. Ours are red.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think this is a great idea but when it comes to human nature, I'm a cynic and have been quite surprised any city had success with them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah Nazareth, wonder what happened to them? I have a white bicycle myself so if York goes in for this scheme I hope the free bikes are blue or red or yellow................

    ReplyDelete
  5. I saw on someone's blog that some places put white bikes - 'ghost bikes' - to commemorate spots where cyclists were killed. I hope this wasn't one of those.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenny, rest assured, this is just a bike belonging to someone at the apartment block it's chained to.

      Delete
  6. Wonderful where alike is possible. Over here, probably unthinkable though. Please have a good new week ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We are too small of a town to have this, but such a great idea for larger cities.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've seen them in Denver too. I wish they would have them here.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like the bike share programs because they give you so much flexibility with travel during the day. But there isn't one where I live, so I got a folding bike that I keep under my desk and use to run errands during the day. When the weather is nice, I can ride to and from work too.

    ReplyDelete

Ratings and Recommendations by outbrain