Tuesday 4 October 2011

Turkish delight


When I spotted this church from the train passing through Rochdale station in the October sunshine, I thought I was imagining things. With the brilliant blue sky and the dusty roads (caused by tramlines being laid) I thought I might be in Greece, as the building looked to me like a Greek Orthodox church.

 I took this quick snap through the train window then did some research when I got home.
It is in fact St. John the Baptist Catholic Church and was built in 1924 on the site of a previous church. The design was based on the church of Santa Sofia in Istanbul, itself now a museum: http://www.helloturkey.net/hagasophia.html

4 comments:

  1. I love this little surprises in our everyday life! Great find Chrissy. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, many times the inside makes much a surprise.
    The Agia Sophia in Istanbul looks indeed nearly alike. Please have a good Wednesday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I agree with Luis. One of the great things about city photo-blogs like Chrissy's is that they spot these 'unconsidered trifles' and eccentricities, and bring them to a wider - hopefully appreciative - audience. Good spot!

    ReplyDelete

Ratings and Recommendations by outbrain