Thursday 20 October 2011

Literati glitterati


The Manchester Literature Festival has once again been a resounding success. Last night saw the 6th annual Manchester Blog Awards, an integral part of the festival, at the Deaf Institute on Grosvenor Street, with excellent compere Kate Feld, who is a writer, blogger, instigator of these awards and much more, originally from Vermont: http://katefeld.com/
http://www.manchesterliteraturefestival.co.uk/


I was delighted that this blog (Mancunian Wave)- still only six months old- was shortlisted for the Best Arts & Culture Blog award, but congratulations to deserving winner The Shrieking Violet, who had been nominated three years running: http://theshriekingviolets.blogspot.com/

I was also delighted to see such a mix of people in the audience and amongst the readers onstage, from many ethnicities and age ranges- from late teens to 70s I would guess. There must have been well over one hundred people attending. Best reading of the night for me (although there were several others that were top quality too) were the evocative memories of David Day. You can hear a short extract at Audioboo:
http://audioboo.fm/boos/511797-david-day-reads-his-essay-at-the-launch-of-the-real-story-creative-nonfiction-project-in-manchester

6 comments:

  1. Thanks! It was a nice night, I really enjoyed the readings too. It was a shame I didn't get to speak to you in person, but it was hard to know who anyone was (and I suppose it would have looked a bit odd if we had all worn name badges!). Oh also, I am pleased you are a fellow UMIST campus fan!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very interesting, I love culture and arts and I think it's a great event.
    In fact it makes me think that I need to read more books.Nowadays, as I'm studying French here in Luxembourg I must read books in French.It's nice, I love poetry as well.
    hugs
    Léia

    ReplyDelete
  3. Always next year Chrissy. I do not often meet other bloggers and only occasionally do I know who they are. That said I am not really much good at being a networker. Paul at Leeds in Yorkshire daily photo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Concratulations upon this achievement ! And yes, poetry is much needed nowadays. Please have you all a good Friday.


    daily athens photo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on being nominated!
    I am back in Canada now after 18 days in England - didn't make it to Manchester except the airport.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great stuff, Chrissy - congratualations on the nomination.

    ReplyDelete

Ratings and Recommendations by outbrain