Friday 28 October 2011

Ship of Fools


World Party were a band that formed in the late 1980s and are touring again this autumn - in the USA. They wrote and played a mean line in environmentalist lyrics.  I saw them at Manchester Academy back in 1993 (on 30th October) when they were inspirational. One of their many successful tracks was "Ship of Fools", which touched a green nerve in Australia, New Zealand and the USA, as well as at home in the UK.

Ship of Fools (Karl Wallinger)
"...Avarice and greed are gonna drive you over the endless sea
They will leave you drifting in the shallows
Drowning in the oceans of history

Travelling the world, you're in search of no good
But I'm sure you're philosophic like I knew you would
Using all the good people for your gallant slaves
As your little boat struggles through the the warning waves

But you will pay, you will pay tomorrow
You're gonna pay tomorrow
You gonna pay tomorrow

Save me, save me from tomor-orrow
I don't want to sail with this ship of foo-ools, no no no no
Oh-oh-oh, save me-ee, save me from tomor-orrow
I don't want to sail with this ship of foo-ools, no no no no..."

http://www.youtube.com/user/WorldParty


http://www.youtube.com/user/WorldParty#p/c/EC5CF6378E05DCB0/3/Ket-ndpxhPg

http://www.worldparty.net/worldparty.html

Thanks to Susie SP for suggesting this photo, as we walked past the above apartment block after lunching at Earth in the Northern Quarter recently.

2 comments:

  1. Not heard of the band but I do like the ship.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A great mean to measure time and life.


    Please have a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete

Ratings and Recommendations by outbrain