Tuesday 5 July 2011

Sweet Caroline


Neil Diamond is currently playing three nights at the M.E.N (Manchester Evening News) Arena. Musically I'd have said he was not my cup of tea, but a friend was given tickets so I was happy to go along for a 4th July celebration.

I was impressed with the two hour show performed with Diamond's 13 piece band (brass section, two guitarists, three backing vocalists, drummer, percussionist and two keyboard players). The energy and the powerful voice of a man who turned 70 in January was inspiring.

This photo captures the atmosphere rather than being a particularly good shot, and was taken during the closing number, the early 1970's  "Sweet Caroline".

According to American music critic David Wild common themes in Diamond's songs are "a deep sense of isolation and an equal desire for connection. A yearning for home – and at the same time, the allure of greater freedom."

3 comments:

  1. It's a great shot Chrissy, full of energy. I must say I do find it amazing that he can still pack a concert hall, but he does the same when he comes to Australia.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm humming "Love on the Rocks" right now.
    Have a happy Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It echoes all over after the 8th inning at EVERY Red Sox game at Fenway. Love it!

    ReplyDelete

Ratings and Recommendations by outbrain