Friday 17 May 2013

Norwegian Constitution Day


City Daily Photo celebrates Norway's Constitution Day today, 17th May. This photo of the RNCM (Royal Northern College of Music) always makes me think of the low slung, slick and modernistic Scandinavian School of architecture. The photo is also doubling up for Skywatch Friday.

I think of music when I  think of Norway- some of my favourite bands hail from that country, modern electronica and dream-pop via jazz.  

The country also has the classical music of Edvard Grieg. See here for a 2006 concert at the RNCM of Peer Gynt. Grieg visited Manchester in November 1897, read more at the RNCM Archives blog.

Röyksopp and Flunk are more modern Norwegian bands that I am a big fan of. The former have played Manchester regularly but I am still waiting to see Flunk tour here. Veteran jazz saxophonist Jan Garbarek is another Norwegian I hold in high regard-he played in Manchester at the RNCM in 2004. 

A question for our Norwegian bloggers: What's new musically in Norway that I would like?

I also have happy memories of visits to Norway- this photo was from the first time I went, exploring the fjords of Flåm.




.

14 comments:

  1. Great post! I especially like the last pic.
    I know Kaizers Orchestra is very popular abroad, but they will have their last gig in September.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very beautiful photos for SWF!Thank you for it and have a nice weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fjords always fascinated me when I was a child; I suppose it's about time that I visit them myself!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would love to see the Fjords. Your photo is so lovely. Like how you brought in 'music' to the theme discussion.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love them both! (And impressive 'double'-duty post) Those fjords are incredible, and you've put me in the mood for some Grieg:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice and interesting contribution to this theme day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice Fjord, hope you get to see Flunk soon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I enjoyed learning about your musical interests! I will look those up. I recently discovered a Swedish jazz trio, e.s.t., that I'm crazy about, but also learned that the founder died a few years ago, so no chance to see them in a live show. I've not discovered much more than traditional folk music from Norway, though. The fjord is so lovely.
    -Kim

    ReplyDelete
  9. I enjoyed learning about your musical interests! I will look those up. I recently discovered a Swedish jazz trio, e.s.t., that I'm crazy about, but also learned that the founder died a few years ago, so no chance to see them in a live show. I've not discovered much more than traditional folk music from Norway, though. The fjord is so lovely.
    -Kim

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's an amazing place! I visited there in 2010 and I want to come back!
    Happy weekend,
    Léia

    ReplyDelete
  11. Interesting post. I think I liked the sky more than the buildings in the top pic.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I don't know the other musicians but thanks for the link to Grieg. We went to visit his house in Bergen on our trip to Norway in the 1970s. It is such a beautiful country.

    Shalom to you from Jerusalem.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a terrific way to link to a theme. You have really worked very hard to come up with a way of celebrating the national day of another country. I did not realise that you were so 'into' music, thinking that language and writing were more your scene. More power to your arm.

    Thank you for your contribution to our Norway Constitution Day theme, and for the support you provide me in a myriad of ways, It is appreciated ...

    ReplyDelete

Ratings and Recommendations by outbrain