Monday 27 May 2013

Monday Murals: Manchester Day Parade, 6 days to go #mcrday



The annual Manchester Day Parade takes place next Sunday, 2 June. 

This year it is being advertised on banners around the city centre and billboards such as this, in the style of Donald McGill. McGill and others were cartoonists famous for seaside postcards from the 1920s (you even find some on sale today) which were considered risqué at the time, full of double entendres. 

As a child I thought they were just old fashioned comics and as an adult I've found them unfunny (at best...). But I somehow like the self-parody going on here- the kind of "Ay oop, we're northerners stuck in the past,  hankies on head and bursting out of our swimming costumes. All aboard the charabanc in Obese City and off to t'seaside, our kid..."

Taking part in Monday Murals.


9 comments:

  1. Haha! I enjoyed your childhood memories of these characters Chrissy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I came across a bunch of these postcards last week in a box I had packed away.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is a nice sense of nostalgia to them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree, these are a lot of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You can't erase the past, so sometimes it's best to simply embrace it and laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the self-mocking quality of the images. Definitely remind me of early cartoons. Hope you'll show us pictures of the parade. Thanks for contributing to this week's Monday Mural.

    ReplyDelete
  7. These images are cute, mainly the last one!
    Léia

    ReplyDelete

Ratings and Recommendations by outbrain