Saturday 7 April 2012

Every day I ♥ everyday Mcr (mostly)...


Yes, I ♥ much of everyday Mcr, most of the time. Not of all Greater Manchester's 2.5 million residents by any means, and, likewise proportionately not really that many of the 7 million people who live in the north-west.

But I wouldn't argue with John Leland who in his 1538 Itinerary (that's the year not the mid-afternoon) wrote that: 
"Mancestre...is the fairest, best buildied, quikkest and most populus Tounne of al Lancastreshire."

And to some extent I would agree with Chris Lethbridge, who in Change and Contradiction, Diverse City (1994) stated: 
"By no stretch of the imagination is Manchester a picturesque city. It is however, emphatically if unconventionally beautiful. In common with all things beautiful...It is fundamentally flawed. It has a compulsion to preen and show off. It is narcissistic, contrary and wayward, and yet you cannot help but love it. It is both admirable and maddening."

12 comments:

  1. That's an interesting way to advertise. I also ♥ your photo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Manchester, so much to answer for..." Personally, I love (or ♥) the place.

    ReplyDelete
  3. In regards to the comment about it being the 'quikkest' that reminds me....in 1720 it was quoted as being an inconsequential village, people in surrounding areas had never even heard of the place but just a hundred years later Disraeli called it "as great a human exploit as Athens". What a turn around!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Through your pictures, Manchester looks beautiful to my eyes...
    God bless you!
    Cezar

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this post Chrissy. I think it reflects much about how we feel towards the cities we live in.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lots of layers here Chrissy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was born in Denton, not Manchester, and I now live in Hyde, but I worked in Manchester city centre for years so I consider myself a Mancunian. Why do Mancunians love Manchester? As Frank Sinatra sang:

    It's very nice to go trav'ling
    To Paris, London and Rome
    It's, oh so nice to go trav'ling
    But it's so much nicer
    Yes, it's so much nicer to come home.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great picture ! Still have some arguements with the city over here, might be the other way round as well ;) Please have a good Easter Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great words and photograph! In fact, when you consider there are five depth levels to this photo, I'd say it's amazing...

    ReplyDelete
  10. The text and image goes well together.
    Just made me think that we, here in the whole of Norway have just reached 5 million people. But the distance from the north to the south, is as fare as the distance to Rome in Italy.

    One day I hope to visit your city.
    Perhaps we can have a coffee and a chat at a coffee bar?

    Anyway, keep advertise your city the nice way you do.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your photos get better and better, especially in the way you really make primary colours and lines hit off each other. Nice one.

    ReplyDelete

Ratings and Recommendations by outbrain