Friday 21 September 2012

Skywatch Friday: ДО СВИДАНИЯ, ЛЕТО (Goodbye Summer)


Suburban sunset - taken by a guest photographer today, Tim on his mobile phone.


And so we wave goodbye to summer- which was so often disappointing weatherwise in the U.K but a unique and memorable summer for many other reasons. The sun often seemed to shine when I needed it most.

All the regular Manchester summer festivals went well, but it is the holidays and weekends away of summer 2012 that I'll hold even fonder memories of: A long walking weekend in glorious sunshine on the Gower coast; Tintern Abbey in the sun and a walk along Offa's Dyke; a daytrip to historic York; another day trip and a 9 mile walk to the amazing Llangollen canal viaduct; 10 lovely days in London which included seeing the Olympic cycle road races; and 10 days down Tywyn, in West Wales. Lucky me - I hope your summer was good (or your winter if you are well south of the equator).

ДО СВИДАНИЯ, ЛЕТО, or "Do svidaniya leto", is Russian for "goodbye summer"- such a moving song from the excellent BBC Russian Language and People series from 1980 that I have never been able to forget. Also at the You Tube channel called Russian for All .
Episode 1 of Goodbye summer.

Click to see further Skywatch Friday posts from around the planet.

9 comments:

  1. Wish I could capture images like that on my mobile - mine are always just a blur!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice colours! I wonder if there is a "Hello summer" I could use - of maybe just "goodbye winter" at least!

    Stewart M - Australia

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am sad to see summer go as well, but at least we have had an amazing summer of sunshine and hot weather.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I been waiting so long to say hello to summer it seems a shame to say farewell already!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great shot!! Boom & Gary of the Vermilon River, Canada.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, Chrissy, what a beautiful Manchester sunset. You can look forward to those nice crisp blue skies which will appear occasionally. I am, of course, living in 'hope'.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great image. Yes, telephones did certainly change their abilities. Can't wait for autumn to arrive. Please have a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Super shot Tim, love those colours and a great silhouette of suburbia.

    ReplyDelete

Ratings and Recommendations by outbrain