Sunday 23 September 2012

I swear I was there, here's the Sex Pistols


Amazing to think it's 35 years since the Sex Pistols Never Mind the Boll***s album hit the streets. It goes against the very spirit of punk that a deluxe version is about to be released....

The Sex Pistols spawned many a Manchester band to form, after their infamous June 1976 gig at the Free Trade Hall. There's even been a book written about that gig and its influences - I swear I was there by David Nolan.

“Alongside Woodstock and Live Aid, the Sex Pistols' performance has been named by critics as one of the most pivotal performances in music history...not necessarily because of the quality of the music - but because of the effect the music had on the audience. The crowd were mesmerized by the power and possibilities of punk - and it inspired them to create their own music that would shape the sound of rock music for decades to come. Members of Joy Division and New Order, the Smiths, the Fall and Buzzcocks were there that night as well as Tony Wilson, a key player in the story of Factory records, the Hacienda, Madchester and beyond. This was truly a gig that changed the world...”

8 comments:

  1. This is so Rock and Roll! :)
    Enjoy the concert!
    Léia

    ReplyDelete
  2. never mind the bollocks,here's the sex pistols!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. By the 70's I'd already given up on the smoking d***, so I'm sure I'd remember if I was there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. And of course the infamous Sex Pistols interview wrecked the broadcasting career of Mancunian Bill Grundy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful mean to measure time and life ! Back then, I was three years of age.

    Please have a good new week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Uh, sorry, Chrissy, but I missed that one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! That will make a person feel old.
    The Sex Pistols inspired bands all over the world!
    I used to have two parakeets. They were named Johnny Rotten and Sid Vicious...

    ReplyDelete

Ratings and Recommendations by outbrain