Thursday 13 September 2012

Rural Thursday: Amaizing -shades of green


The maize fields on a walk between Hare Hill and Alderley Edge in northern Cheshire this week. I previously posted a photo of the same field in July last year.

Personally I am pleased to learn that in recent years some local farmers have decided to grow maize in place of the more usual Cheshire dairy cash crops: cream, cattle and of course, Cheshire cheese, the oldest cheese in England.

Mancunian Wave is linking today to the Rural Thursday blog.

15 comments:

  1. I traveled over to Yorks last week and I too was surprised by seeing several fields of maize. Cannot ever recall seeing maize growing here when I was a boy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful colours, but why are you pleased that farmers are moving away from dairy?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Because I am a vegetarian -almost a vegan- and am unhappy with the way animals are mistreated. Dairy cows still need to have repeated pregnancies. Half the calves born are male, so will be killed for meat. There is also the distress of transport and eventual slaughter. Cow's milk is suitable for feeding calves - humans do not need to drink it.

      Delete
  3. I'm loving your header shot - what a great field of maze. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the brilliance of the green against the blue sky.

    ReplyDelete
  5. great shot. hopped over thanks to RT. hope you are well. take care. (:

    ReplyDelete
  6. love that green against the blue!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great photo of the corn fields ~ very creative ~ (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  8. We have many corn fields here, but I've never seen them in the UK - what a great picture (and great addition to the farm scene!)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Do you usually call it maize in your country? I find that interesting... :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. From where I come from, it is the colour of hope.


    Please have a good Friday.

    ReplyDelete

Ratings and Recommendations by outbrain