Tuesday 28 February 2012

Mcr Histories Festival


The Manchester Histories Festival is on this week. It's a celebration of Greater Manchester’s "unique history and heritage" - an odd statement in my view as surely every city's history and heritage is unique?

That aside, this year's mouth watering programme includes talks, walks, exhibitions, performance and archaeology.  A few gems I'm looking forward to are Scott of the Antarctic and Manchester; Slavery and Abolition; Frances Lockett- Britain's first queen of cotton; food heritage; music fanzines; Egyptology in Manchester, Communism in Manchester and much more: http://www.manchesterhistoriesfestival.org.uk/

A photo of mine is being used to promote the New Manchester Walks' tours of the Town Hall. It is ringed to the right above (thanks Tim!) and appears in the thousands of festival brochures printed. I first posted it here last September. The photo is also in use at New Manchester Walks  and Quay Tickets.
The use of my photo on the festival website I gave free of charge, as I am a passionate believer of the Histories Festival itself.

11 comments:

  1. Oh cheeky monkeys! I got an email from a Leeds photographer a couple of days back someone on a photography course in the city recognized one of his photos and he saw one of mine, complete with watermark and forwarded the course work pdf to me. When used commercially I would prefer that they pay me if they want to use my stuff, especially if they do not ask.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's kind of cool to see your work on the cover of a programme. But you should definitely be paid for it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh sorry about the problems with your photo!These things are so complicate.
    Léia

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cheeky beggars Chrissy, I can see why they snaffled it though, it's such a fabulous image, but still that's not on. You'll have to let us know how you get on!The Egyptology in Manchester sounds interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Being a former history teacher, I would love this event. Wonder how much Communism went on in Manchester? Re your "unique" commentary: You are right, but what's unique about this is it's about Greater Manchester's uniqueness which among all the cities of the world is quite unique. Oui?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lowell, as a history graduate myself, I undsertand how you would enjoy this festival. You'll have to come over and see all the (mostly 19th - & 20th- century, history) in Manchester. Would be delighted to show you around.

      Frederick Engels' family were amongst a sizeable German community in 19th century Manchester. The family owned a cotton factory here and Engels wrote "The Conditions of the Working Classes" here in in 1844. This inspired Engels and Marx' future communist writings, so there is a fair amount of communist heritage in the city's history.

      Delete
  6. I remember that photo well Chrissy it is a great image and one a professional photographer would be proud of. Good on you for supporting your local community so enthusiastically.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's a great feeling having your photos used like that. The Baltimore Aquarium asked to use several of mine one time. And they gave me some free tickets! Hope you enjoy the festival and learn a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fascinating stuff...I had not known about Engels connection. And yes, I'd love to visit at some point. I'll put such a visit on my bucket list. Thanks for the history lesson.

    Re using your photo: I've had a number of my photos published in various venues and most often require no payment; just an acknowledgement and copyright notice. One time a big fancy hotel asked to use a photo of mine for a new brochure and I said that would be fine, but please send me $10. I never heard from them again. I guess I should check their brochure! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. wonderful that your photography enjoys such fame.

    please have a good wednesday.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This festival would be fun. Congrats on having a photo used in the promotional materials.

    ReplyDelete

Ratings and Recommendations by outbrain