Thursday 9 February 2012

Books for the discerning: Tintin, Wainwright, Jamie Oliver


"Books for the discerning" is the wonderful byline here at Bookline on Shaws Road in Altrincham. Sadly it's about to close down, but this is due to retirement rather than recession. They have long stocked a good selection of new and, even better, second hand books.

Jamie Oliver takes centre stage and his new Italian restaurant opens in Manchester on 20th February. The Wainwright Letters are a collection of 35 years of replies to letters sent to Alfred Wainwright, the famous Lake District walker and writer. Herge's Tintin has had a new lease of life since the release of a film last year (and the Wii game too!). The window display is completed with books on three popular subjects: horse racing, bird watching and gardening.

10 comments:

  1. Very diverse collection of books in this display Chrissy, now this is where they need a younger family member to take over the business.... btw I loved the image in your last post Wind and Wuthering, very haunting and appropriate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the hint about these books.I love your work in this picture, you got beautiful reflections!
    Léia

    ReplyDelete
  3. It always makes me sad to know that a bookshop is closing even if for retirement.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope you plan to visit Jamie's restaurant. I was unable to resist buying his book on our recent UK trip.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Shops like that are a dying breed. But heaven....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sad Bookline is closing down but maybe a few bargains to be had Chrissy, bet you have been inside to look!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the comments, my fellow book worms! Yes, I have had a browse inside- some interesting BBC audio books second hand as well which I was tempted by.

    And yes I expect I shall try the new Jamie Oliver restaurant in the next month or so- I will post a photo of the outside on 20 Feb when it opens.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Would you please lock me inside ?!

    Please have a good Friday.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the variety of those books!
    Now that you mention Jamie Oliver, it just struck me that I don't think he has a TV show over here anymore. I wonder what happened. I used to record his old show "the naked chef."

    ReplyDelete

Ratings and Recommendations by outbrain