Friday 27 February 2015

Bert's green bikes?


I walked past these bicycles in Albert Square yesterday morning and assumed they were new- this morning they had all gone but the bike racks remained. I was in too much of a rush and couldn't read the company's name. It would  be good if they were to supplement the bike rentals at Piccadilly Station and were being rolled out across the city.  Better still would be a safer city centre that banned cars- I voted for the congestion charge a few years back but was overruled by the majority. I really do feel that the city centre should be pedestriansed more and there should be a bus, taxi, electric cars and delivery-vehicle only policy implemented. A few car parks dotted around the outskirts for commuters and then a free shuttle bus or free tram to bring the workforce into the city each day- that would be my personal choice of a policy. 




5 comments:

  1. I don't like the sound of that 'free' shuttle. I don't work in the city centre and I cycle to work. I don't fancy paying taxes to help others pay for their trips into work in that shuttle.

    The sensible way to reduced city centre congestion is for firms to relocate to less crowded areas. Most office jobs can be done anywhere these days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes office spaces are also often cheaper outside of centres

      Delete
  2. There's a program here with those kind of bikes as well, and efforts being made to increase bike use in the core, but it tends to be difficult to persuade people.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We now have a similar company operating here in Seattle, except the helmets keep getting stolen... love the green!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally agree with you about what they should do there (and in many other places).
    This is also a great photo Chrissy!

    ReplyDelete

Ratings and Recommendations by outbrain