Tuesday 24 December 2013

Home (baking) for Christmas #festivebaking


I turned off the radiator, unplugged the computers and locked up the office. I decided to walk all the way to the tram terminus rather than fight with the crowds at St Peter's Square, to ensure I could get a seat. I needed one, laden as I was with jute bags full of Christmas cheer. Eventually a southbound tram arrived, tooting from the tunnel. It rattled and rolled through darkened streets, with ever more commuters and shoppers squeezing on board.

I trudged through the side streets, bathed in the suburban glow of festive lights and trees in many a window. Eventually I turned a corner to see our own house, lit up with pink lights on a tree outside and the white light of a Christmas candelabra on the window sill.

Slipping through the back door, the wonderful aroma of cinnamon and gingerbread wafted across the kitchen to greet me. The family had been baking mincemeat crumblies, icing the Christmas cake and making gingerbread stars to give as presents and to hang on the tree. I was home for Christmas...



4 comments:

  1. So beautiful! Have a great Christmas Chrissy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Chrissy! Hope you are having a great holiday season! Sorry for the absence, but work and concerns are keeping me away from Blogtrotter... Anyhow, enjoy my latest post at Tobago, and have a great season!
    Wish you all the best for 2014, hopefully better than 2013!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cinnamon and gingerbread smell wonderful at any time of year ... but especially at Christmas.

    Hope you have a wonderful Christmas, Chrissy :)

    Marianne x

    ReplyDelete

Ratings and Recommendations by outbrain