Tuesday 16 October 2012

"God is a Manc" (so was Anthony Burgess) @McrLitFest


The Manchester Literature Festival started on 8th October and runs through to 23rd October. It includes the Blog North Awards on Wednesday 17th, for which Mancunian Wave was commended this year (thanks for all your support): www.blognorthawards.com/the-shortlist
There are many diverse festival events with details at: www.manchesterliteraturefestival.co.uk 

Anthony Burgess' A Clockwork Orange was published 50 years ago and is still a worrying read, depicting as it does a future, violent, dystopian and dysfunctional Britain. The photo above depicting the well known Clockwork Orange icon was taken outside the International Anthony Burgess Foundation on Cambridge Street. A lecture commemorating this was given, and a plaque unveiled, last Wednesday.

I haven't read much Burgess but recommend his less well known short story The Muse.

God is a Manc is a witty work by Mike Garry from the 2009 Mcr Lit Festival at:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=L61okbUrdg0 

Linking today to the Our World Tuesday blog. Other good news is that the City Daily Portal is back, at a new location and address, of: www.citydailyphoto.org .

5 comments:

  1. It really is a disturbing read (and film)... Shivers...

    ReplyDelete
  2. The book still seems so "modern" to me, that the sign actually took me by surprise - 50 years!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats with the commendation! Chrissy is this you?? Don't know if you remember me -this is my "other" blog, but I started as Jeannette StG with Mysteries. I was very green and didn't know about all those memes yet. I'm hopelessly addicted to them now, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations Chrissy! I love the look of this sign, even if the story itself still gives me (and everyone I know) the shudders!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful sign indeed! :)
    Thanks for the hint about the book!
    Léia

    ReplyDelete

Ratings and Recommendations by outbrain