Saturday 29 September 2012

Art for art's sake: Manchester Contemporary Art Fair


The North's biggest contemporary art fair opened yesterday. Now in its fifth year, 65 galleries are exhibiting works by over 500 UK and international artists. It's in a purpose-built marquee on Hardman Square and at the nearby Artzu Gallery.

This year the fair includes a wide range of talks including Beatrice Hodgkin, author of Affordable Contemporary Art (on Saturday). There are some brilliant pieces on display and for sale, and some that I just didn't get at all (nor did I get some of the price tags- e.g £8500).

For what it's worth, I was impressed with work from the Artisan Fine Art Gallery from Bolton, The Art Gallery in Tetbury Glos., Cheshire Art agencies in Knutsford, Curious Duke Gallery in London, Contemporary Six from Manchester, Comme Ca Art Dealers Manchester,  Hepplestone Fine Art in Chorley and Vermilion in in Knutsford.

Hmmm, all but two of those are north-west based. It looks like my living "oop north" for a quarter of a century has influenced and infiltrated my tastes!

5 comments:

  1. Wow! Lucky you! I don't always "get it" either, but I still like looking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting pieces indeed.

    Miss much living in the North.

    Please have a good Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The paintings you show are pretty good, worth looking more carefully at. The smaller ones on the right seem a bit more conventional and might be more to my taste.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like a good fair and a fun way to spend time (and money!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful splashes of color, I especially love that bright red one. I also don't always 'get it' but always fun to look and see!

    ReplyDelete

Ratings and Recommendations by outbrain