Sunday 22 January 2012

A thrifty weekend: Sunday


Altrincham Sunday Vintage Market
Up early for a tram to Harbour City, or walk along the banks of the River Irwell to get there.
A walk around the basins at Salford Quays, looking at Media City where the BBC and part of Salford University have moved to. Then to the Lowry Centre to view the permanent Lowry exhibition and other galleries, including the wonderful Adolphe Valette exhibition on until 28 January. Great views of the area, especially if sunny, over a coffee. £2 plus optional donation to the galleries.
Work off your lunch at a vintage market. It’s held at Stockport once a month and in Altrincham the third Sunday of the month: http://www.vintagevillagestockportmarket.co.uk/ and https://twitter.com/#!/Altvtgmarket 
The Altrincham Sunday market mixes vintage with local food produce. You can buy beers from Tatton Brewery, wines from the Languedoc (ok, that's not so local), local honey and beeswax polish, recycled homemade jewellry, cupcakes, china, homemade cards etc.
I enjoy perusing the 1950's crockery stall with fine examples of Midwinter domino (white pots on white, Midwinter Cannes and Riveria and Enid Seeney’s Homemaker (featuring black and white design award winning items including a Robin Day armchair and a Sigvard Bernadotte sofa). From £5. Or a vintage dress for £10.
There should still be time to head back to the Northern Quarter to wander round some independent shops and grab a cup tea, people watch or look at the street art. See: http://mancunianwave.blogspot.com/2011/10/oklahoma-urban-prairie.html

Then home for the rest of last night’s chilli and a baked potato and the wine left over from last night, And why not tune to local community radio station ALL FM on 96.9 or online. Their weekly Charity Shops Classics programme showcases tunes that can be found in charity shops. I love the variety and the sounds of some of the far from perfect vinyl that gets played. It’s a novel idea and can unearth some musical gems. It’s also is a great way of reusing old records and cassettes which otherwise would surely be destined for landfill: http://www.mixcloud.com/tag/allfm/ and http://allfm.org/

Finally a Sunday night drink at my favourite bar Dimitri’s- say £5 (photo right) and: http://mancunianwave.blogspot.com/2011/06/alfresco-at-dimitris.html
Total spend approximately £22 (a total of just under £50 for yesterday and today).
There are so many more suggestions I could make for cheap and exciting days out- walks in the Peak District, day trips to National Trust and English Heritage properties, more unusual galleries and museums.

I will continue to mention these here on Mancunian Wave anyway. Thanks for reading!

13 comments:

  1. Mission accomplished, well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Chrissy,,

    I used to live in Altrincham and we popped to the market quite often.

    I love Dimitri's too - did you know that there is now one in Didsbury?

    :0)

    Cheers

    PM

    ReplyDelete
  3. Always so pleasant to stroll in such a market!
    God bless you!
    Cezar

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm enjoying very much your excursions into the land of thrift. And I love thrift shops.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well done indeed Chrissy, I had no doubts that you could do it.. Honestly I really think we spend way too much money on things we really don't need to, there are so many interesting things to see and do, as you've so perfectly demonstrated', that are free or very low fees. I don't know about you, but I thoroughly enjoyed your weekend haha!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like a busy and enjoyable weekend Chrissy, I had no doubt you would rise to the challenge. Glad you got to see the Valette exhibition, I hear it is excellent.

    ReplyDelete
  7. More, more, more, more of these guides, please! I'm making copies of each one and shall have great pleasure following them myself.
    If you need a hint...particularly waiting for the Peak District one...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would love to be shopping there! Excellent finds.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi there - I have just returned from the wild, woolly and less that wonderful world of wireless only internet - so now I'm catching up.
    Great set of pictures – it’s always great fun to look though this kind of market – you really never know what you will find next.

    Cheers - Stewart M - Australia

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a nice and interesting posting!
    Your photo is BEAUTIFUL!
    And I wish I one day will explore your area by using your blog as my guide book!
    Perhaps we could meet here for a chat and a drink or two??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I look forward to seeing you for a drink whenever yoo get here Gunn ;-)

      Delete

Ratings and Recommendations by outbrain