Tuesday 14 January 2014

Pyjamas and Radimar skirts, or old brands linger on...



Here's some lovely vintage signage at 3 Stevenson Square. At first I had assumed George Taylor was the shop name, but it may have been a brand of clothing.  Arco Shirts and Pyjamas Ltd. was the company but it was hard to discover much. They stocked Golden Crest goods and Radimah skirts (whatever they may have been).  Aha, on a second look I see it it is Radimar, who appear to have been a 1940s company.

As to the era, I was thinking the signs were 1940s in a 19th century building but then thought maybe they are as recent as the 1960s?   A little research and I discovered that Arco Shirts and Pyjamas Ltd were registered here in 1947. Maybe my friend and sign historian Sue at the Signs Siren blog can help me out?


With colour like this I simply have to part in this week's Ruby Tuesday posts.
              




13 comments:

  1. The sign out last the business. It's a story of the times.

    ReplyDelete
  2. good vintage; thanks for sharing; have a nice Tuesday

    much love...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this (you know I love this!) It looks 1940s to 1950s to my untrained eye. I think Radimar were making skirts then too. The Arco sign caught my eye - there's a safety wear company called Arco which is still trading. It's been going about 150 years!

    ReplyDelete
  4. a lot of history in these old windows

    ReplyDelete
  5. These old signs and fonts transport me to another time Chrissy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great pic - you should do a series on interesting doors/doorways.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The sign looks very old fashioned.

    You could have used this for the upcoming theme day for February!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I believe my great uncle was George Taylor who had a shop on Stevenson Square circa 1940's.

    ReplyDelete

Ratings and Recommendations by outbrain