Monday 16 September 2013

Monday Mural musical moptops



Taking part in Monday Murals. 


There's long been a historical, cultural and sporting rivalry between the major metropolises at either end of the East Lancs Road. So you might think that it's a brave rock and roll memorabilia shop that sets up in Manchester under the name of Penny Lane and features the four most famous Liverpudlians on the signage. Inside you'll also find plenty of Manchester music memorabilia plus a wider range of rock acts.

I'm amazed that there is an audience among today's teenagers and 20 somethings for the Beatles and Smiths and their ilk.  My teenagers were keen to be photographed walking over the Abbey Road zebra crossing when we were down in London NW8 over the summer, and it's still a real tourist trap there. (although to me the Abbey Road studios are more about Pink Floyd's recordings there - Piper at the Gates of Dawn, Saucerful of Secrets, Ummagumma, More, Atom Heart Mother, Meddle, Dark Side of the Moon and Wish You Were Here). Back north and a young friend' s favourite Manchester night out is at South where Inspiral Carpet's Clint Boon presides over an ultimate night, every Saturday...  

As much as I can enjoy my musical yesterdays it's equally, if not more, important to me to be aware of real, raw, independent music of today and tomorrow, wherever they hail from. The indie shoegazers from Brooklyn called Fieldmouse are up there as a band I champion. As are downtempo Signal Hill from California. Likewise Australians Cloud Controlwho play the Deaf Institute in Manchester on 24 September. See you there?

11 comments:

  1. Great music will always be great music.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now, THIS is a mural.

    I have been amazed at the lasting power of the rock from my generation. My kids know the words of songs I have forgotten. When I was young, music was ephemeral. A song blasted its way onto the charts, was huge, but in two weeks we were bored with it and another took over. Now, they have been back and still big for forty years or so.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great mural! I'll have to check out the bands you recommended.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm a sucker for the Beatles. Especially their early stuff, something genius in the simplicity of it. My favorite is "Yesterday".

    ReplyDelete
  5. There have also been some fantastic classical music recordings at Abbey Road studios. I myself did do the touristy thing and visit Abbey Rd years ago on my first trip to London - as the visit ended, in our haste to catch an approaching bus, we almost "jaywalked" (crossed outside a crosswalk) somewhat illegally, but then realized it would be easier to use the nearest crosswalk. And so we crossed most properly at The Crosswalk:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm sure their music will last forever. Great mural!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The Beatles will be here forever. Just like Strawberry Fields! MB

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great mural. The Fab Four shook up the world with their music.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anything with the Beatles gets my heart pumping. I too am surprised that today's kids know and like the Beatles. In youth culture this must seem like the stone age. Unlike you I can't keep up with pop music. I can barely keep up with this blog. Thanks for contributing to this week's Monday Mural. And apologies for the Linky snafu. Did manage to get your link up, though.

    ReplyDelete

Ratings and Recommendations by outbrain