Takes place today, details from: www.themanchesterparade.co.uk
"Manchester Day is an annual event that celebrates everything great about our city. It is a day for residents and visitors alike to get together and celebrate all things Mancunian that have helped Manchester emerge as one of the world’s most iconic cities.
The theme of this year’s parade is A Voyage of Discovery, inspiring a host of diverse and creative ideas from participating groups.
What does it mean to you, your family, and your city?
- Manchester’s journey from village to 21st-century world-class city
- Uncover the story of your family, community, city, or even country!
- The future: 22nd-century Manchester. What might the city look and sound like?
- Exploration and anniversaries of our city, country, world and beyond
- From A to B: journeys by land, sea, canals and air, of people, animals and things
- Inventors and innovators: Manchester is the birthplace of Alan Turing, computer scientist, inventor and code-breaker; the first and only swing aqueduct in the world was built at Barton and carries the Bridgewater Canal over the Ship Canal; Annie Horniman began the repertory movement; and Ernest Rutherford discovered how to split the atom at Manchester University
- Sporting, creative, musical, digital Manchester.