Tuesday 20 January 2015

Manc Floyd - Wish you were here?


Tribute bands sometimes get given a hard time, but they shouldn’t. They are merely playing composers’ music in the same way a classical orchestra plays Elgar etc. I added another Pink Floyd tribute band to my list on Sunday when I saw Manc Floyd at Bury Met Theatre. 

They were good, although the stage was too small to accommodate all eight of them and the screen, which made it all a little cramped and took away some of the joy in being able to see all of the musicians at their instruments.

There were several moments when I got that amazing buzz, adrenalin rush, floating feeling that such music can produce, especially live, which made my evening complete.
The one photo I took at the gig was at the start- then I put my phone away so as to not annoy fellow audience members. Shine on you Crazy Diamond with bassist and vocalist Simon Renwick left and guitarist and slide guitarist Benjamin Pritchard right.

As it’s the 40th anniversary year of Wish you Were Here they played the album in full. Then in the second half played The Division Bell, See Emily Play, Astronomy Domine, One of these Days, Lucifer Sam, Time, Money, The Great Gig in the Sky, Another Brick in the Wall. The encore started with Run Like Hell, but I missed anything further or I too would have had to run like hell to catch the last tram (an archaic Sunday service – "24 hour city"? my foot -  means the last tram Bury to Manchester city centre was at 2259).

IMHO the best Floyd tribute bands by far are Brit Floyd (as well as seeing them in concert I recommend their Live at Red rocks DVD, only a fiver!) and Australian Pink Floyd.  Others, such as Manc Floyd and Darkside are good enough for a Pink Floyd live concert experience to remember, and a lot cheaper to see. Only £12 for this one.

Taking part in Our World Tuesday.



3 comments:

  1. A friend of a friend arranged something similar in Stockholm a while back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The band looks rather dramatic in this light!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We had motofest last year on the Isle of Man for the TT races. Some home grown original bands and all the headliners where cover bands. Some of them are absolutely fantastic, and when you live on an island you don't get stadium bands play, but we do get to hear their music live still and do the photoshoots. Great post for me. Love anythnig Pink Floyd related.

    ReplyDelete

Ratings and Recommendations by outbrain