Thursday 25 September 2014

Red leaf in a red city


I took this photo on 1st September. It's from an early-turning tree on Oxford Road and is a heart-rending reminder that summer is turning into autumn. It really is the first week of autumn now - I will always go by equinoxes not the method of convenient calendar months used by the Meteorological Office.

Red City?  Manchester used to be a red city and to an extent still is, with Labour ruling the Town Hall roost and the Labour Party conference held here this week. But politically they have actually been more of an insipid Tory blue since the Blair years. I hold out for a Green spring in 2015, both in nature and in politics.. 

I will need to be dragged kicking and screaming out of summer as always but I mustn't be greedy. I have had the most fortunate and wonderful summer months, living life to the full, with family holidays in Croatia (Porec) and Wales (Twywn), a coastal path walking weekend based in Exmouth, a few trips to London, plus Paris and a radio conference in Nice. Add to that a good summer weather-wise in the north-west and the festivals and walks in the area. I have been truly spoilt. Here's to a happy, hearty and healthy autumn for all.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Ratings and Recommendations by outbrain