Tuesday 11 March 2014

Anarchy at Oldham Coliseum with Dario Fo



Accidental Death of an Anarchist by Dario Fo is being performed at the Oldham Coliseum theatre from Friday 7 to Saturday 22 March. The theatre is over 125 years old, the play less so. 

I thought I remembered seeing the play advertised growing up in London in the 1970s. I was fascinated by both the title and the playwright's short surname. It turns out the play's London West End run was actually in 1980 and 1981;  adverts for it seemed to be plastered over every red double-decker bus, and I am sure it was widely advertised on Capital Radio too?

I was too young and /or broke to independently go to the theatre back then. Many decades later, here is my chance to see the play. 
Accidental Death of an Anarchist has been seen by 40 million people globally.

Wikipedia tells me that the play is a farce based on the real-life events surrounding Italian railroad worker and anarchist Giuseppe Pinelli, who fell - or was thrown - to his death from the fourth floor window of a Milan police station in 1969. He was accused of bombing a bank (the Piazza Fontana bombing) but was cleared.




3 comments:

  1. I have not heard of the play. The design they've come up with for the ad is quite striking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't heard of either the play or the story. It sounds really interesting though and I'm going to check it out. I'll start by following your links. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope you enjoy the play Chrissy, one I have always wanted to see myself. Glad you have finally got moved in, great view!

    ReplyDelete

Ratings and Recommendations by outbrain