Sunday 19 August 2012

Oliver Cromwell's head of steam


I was surprised to see a steam train in the name of Oliver Cromwell. It was completed at the Crewe Railway Depot in Cheshire on 30 May 1951.

It was parked at the world's oldest passenger railway line, which is the Liverpool Road station by Manchester's Museum of Science and Industry (MOSI). The station opened in 1830 and linked Manchester and Liverpool.

I am amazed that in the pro-monarchy days of the 1950s a steam train was named after England's only Head of State who did not gain the position through hereditary means. Cromwell headed England's first republic which lasted from 1653 to 1658. I look forward to a ride on this train when England becomes a republic again, one day...

10 comments:

  1. Oliver Cromwell got steamed and Charles lost his head! Sorry, couldn't resist, but the current Charles might have a lot to do with England becoming a republic again ...!

    It is rather a nice looking old train.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry but don't think you'll ever take that ride. Any opinion on who'd make a good President ... we'd just end up with another crappy politician. I prefer the 1000 years of history. Great photo, dodgy politics ;-) offence not intended so hope none taken!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shame you are anonymous as I'd welcome a debate, no offence taken.

      Delete
  3. Shame you've needlessly spoiled a great blog with political comment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It'd be a dull blog if I didn't sometimes express my opinion Gaylord ;-)

      Delete
  4. I am going to have to show this one to my husband, Chrissy. He is going to love it! PS So do I :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Probably the best way to travel.
    Please have a good new week ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm surprised too! Though I suppose Cromwell does turn up in the most unexpected places! I walked by a venerable building in Manhattan and it was named (many of the older buildings are named, idea being it sounds fancier)..."The Oliver Cromwell." Which was rather funny (I ought to post a pic of it one day...:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. One of British Railways better engines, a specimen of 'Britannic Class.' Wonderful sight!
    There is little chance of any republic in the UK, not in the foreseeable future. Once Charles takes over he will change many things cost wise, and the folks who hate him now (Diana loving sad women) will be pursuing the idea of King William! No republic for several generations, and who wishes a political President? Tony Blair perhaps?

    ReplyDelete

Ratings and Recommendations by outbrain