Sunday 12 August 2012

Oast House Olympics


The Oast House (in shadow to the left) is a rarity in Spinningfields in that it is trying to look old rather than cool or modern, as the rest of the area aspires to. Modelled on an old Kent oast house it has become a popular watering hole of the after work crowds, whatever the weather. It was only built late in 2011 and is not somewhere I would frequent myself- the hog roasts put me off to start with...

An oast house or hop kiln is a building designed for kilning (drying) hops as part of the brewing process. They can be found in most hop-growing regions, which are not really found here in the north-west but more in the south-east.

6 comments:

  1. It seems a good place to have a beer outside and chat with friends in the shade.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Even before I read the write-up I noted the "old" building in among the new, so I guess they got their effect!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like its look and it really does jump out amidst the modern buildings!

    ReplyDelete
  4. False history is never a good idea. Manchester has lots of its own good history.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I live in Kent opposite a real Oast house. Take it from me, it really doesn't do the real thing any justice what so ever. A true Oast house, as those here in Kent, all have thatched roofs not rusty corigated iron (or that's what it looks like from the pic). Tip - come and see the real thing and enjoy a traditional Kenttish pint.

    ReplyDelete

Ratings and Recommendations by outbrain