Friday 20 April 2012

Oranges are not the only flats

The Lock Building on Whitworth Street overlooks a canal at the back but from the front can form quite a striking view with its orange perspex balconies. Most times I walk past I think they are really artistic and innovative, but occasionally I am less keen and cannot but help think that the tiling is similar to a giant public toilet (as was much of the 1970's brown tiled debacle known as the Arndale Centre in the city centre). Oh, the positives and the negatives in the things that we see!

8 comments:

  1. It's the repetitiveness of the the shot and your skills as a photographer that makes it artistic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the design of these balconies, but orange is a most unusual colour to choose!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are really talented, this picture is awesome, I love this kind of angle!
    Happy weekend
    Léia

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yep, how a design holds up over time tells the tale. I mean, which will stand the longest, this apartment complex or the Circus in Bath?

    ReplyDelete
  5. yes, yes, the photo is great, but the title is even better!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really like the look. Have a happy weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Don't knock the Arndale! :)

    Great photo, it looks almost like a model with perfect colours and a slightly warm filter. I can't help but think that those orange sheets will look tatty and dirty within a year, and the whole effect will be reduced to just another block of flats.

    There's some serviced apartment Manchester somewhere near the canal that are being given a really interesting design, and it also means that neighbours can look into your balcony either, so you can be afforded a bit of privacy while reading or tending to your plants. The design in that photo makes me think of ants in a colony, so I don't think it's quite for me.

    ReplyDelete

Ratings and Recommendations by outbrain