Sunday 10 May 2015

Weekend Reflection: Pop Art nouveau


I am really not sure that Art Nouveau and Pop Art can ever work well together, but there is something about this chair in Altrincham's Oxford Road that I quite like. It made me stop and I ended up with a decent reflection for Weekend Reflections anyway...

Mancunian Wave reader Chris points out that the frame probably isn't Art Nnoveau style - mea culpa.
========================================================================

Are you really sure this is an Art Nouveau armchair?
I like Art Nouveau and this is offensive to that style. Art Nouveau is restrained and elegant. 
 
 
image
 
 
 
 
 
art nouveau furniture at manchester art gallery - Google...
en.wikipedia.org (Manchester Art Gallery) 1944 × 2592 - 1258k - jpg vam.ac.uk L'Art Nouveau Pavilion 600 × 474 - 48k - jpg antiques-atlas.com Lamb of Manchester Ar...
 
Preview by Yahoo
 
 
There are also specific carved motifs typical of Art Nouveau and this chairs' excessively florid carving lacks any of those.

I would describe it either as 
- Baroque or
- Roccoco


best regards
Chris 




8 comments:

Ratings and Recommendations by outbrain