Monday 11 August 2014

Monday Mural: Mila K


When I first saw these murals a couple of weeks back, I wasn't sure what to think. They were so new that I wasn't alone in taking photos. But I had a sinking feeling that maybe they were a male sci-fi fan's fantasy, which made me rather uneasy. 

When I discovered they were by Sheffield artist Mila K I felt better. They are titled "And we are aware, cause we've been through it". My interpretation of that is women all experience sexism and many are the object of male fantasies - but we can try and reclaim and reinterpret the "woman as fantasy role" and be empowered rather than oppressed...

Taking part in the Monday Mural at the Oakland Daily Photo blog.




7 comments:

  1. I like your interpretation of these murals. The ladies look sort of badass and cool to me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is visually striking work. I can see where your initial thoughts about it were going.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that the women in the murals are very much in command of their lives. No victimization for them.
    Take 25 to Hollister

    ReplyDelete
  4. The first mural reminds me of a cross between sci-fi and hip hop culture. Always happy to see a woman's street art. Thanks for contributing to this week's Monday Mural.

    ReplyDelete

Ratings and Recommendations by outbrain