Thursday 28 November 2013

Skywatch early morning, late autumn


Taken on a country walk on a frosty morning near the River Dane last weekend.  See this week's other Skywatch posts.

A tough winter may lay ahead of us and it certainly seemed that way last Saturday. Heading off to a favourite walking spot of mine in northern Cheshire, the temperature gauge as we set off read -3°C. It felt rather chilly too, crunching through the frost in my battered walking boots, wondering if my thickest lined gloves’ first outing of this late autumn season were going to keep my fingers warm.

The gentle rolling scenery of the Trent and Mersey canal weaving its way from Whatcroft to Middlewich was a pleasant distraction from the cold. The River Dane was gushing away 20 feet downhill to the right of us, cartwheeling in crazy undulating bends when compared to the “Straight ahead boys!” approach of the ancient canal’s builders.  

When the sun came out there was a sheer magical quality hanging in the frozen air; a bright blue sky, frosted leaves and berries, the canal frozen over in places until an occasional narrow boat broke through.  The wildlife was at its best last week as well; pheasants and grouse scurried along the roads and through fields. My highlight of the walk was a kingfisher, in fact we spotted a couple that day. One was always just ahead of us, swooping onto the next overhanging branch from where it could fish, only to be disturbed by us as we caught up 30 seconds later. It may have annoyed the kingfisher but it enabled us to delight at the sight of its vibrant turquoise body as it flitted along a few feet above the water.

I usually warm up halfway through a walk but not last Saturday- it was too cold. A hole in the top of my right walking boot didn’t help- if I walk about 12 miles every weekend and have had the boots 2 years that must be about 1200 miles I have walked in them, so maybe they are a little worn out. Likewise my fleece is not equipped for this kind of weather, nor my gloves really. And a hat that doesn’t look silly but does the trick is something I still yearn for…

Although most of my walks are on the flat Cheshire plains, when I was back in the warm, with a mug of steaming coffee and a peanut butter bagel, I checked out the Craigdon Mountain website. Their wide range of walking gear could suit my needs and for serious mountaineering and skiing friends there is some heavier wearing equipment. You might not catch me in crampons but I soon came up with a useful Christmas lists worth of items. 

So, this year so please can I have a lovely lime green Marmot sling shot jacket, or maybe a pink ice mountain Rosiere jacket; a North Face Messenger bag in red; an Alaska or an Electra beanie; maps and books on Scotland and the Munros would certainly make me want to head northwards too. I also found a few Christmas ideas for some outdoorsy types I know but had better not mention here lest they be read…



12 comments:

  1. What a fantastic photo. Like a painting. Sure looks like a great place for long walks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not only is the sky beautiful but so is the entire scene.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Girl, I love your narrative!You are very talented!
    The picture is spectacular, thanks so much for taking us with you in this special day!
    hugs
    Léia

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is absolutely stunning - magic indeed. (And loving the steaming coffee and peanut butter bagel to go with it:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks and sounds like a wonderful day! Layers are the trick for the cold - and down or thinsulate mitts!

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOVE that light fog and the pastels in the scene...

    ReplyDelete
  7. A perfect scene in every way...you got a winner here, Chrissy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Waaaw! I miss Croxteth country park :)

    Amazing photograph. Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a beautiful view, the touch of frost might be chilly but is sure is pretty

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a beautiful image. There sure is a lot going on in the sky! Happy Skywatch.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Really nice...picture and your way of writing. :)

    ReplyDelete

Ratings and Recommendations by outbrain