Friday 3 February 2012

Captain America faces the music


Once upon a time it looks like music lessons were given in this building on Dale Street.  "Classical, Church, Jazz, Swing" suggest late 1940s to me. Any ideas?   A typically imposing Mancunian warehouse  (for cotton and textile, late 19th/ early 20th centuries)) is reflected in the window.

Bearing in mind that Dale Street doubled as 1940's Brooklyn for the filming of Captain America in late 2010, I wonder if this sign is actually a leftover from the shoot. I took the photo below of some dog eared posters on China Lane, which definitely are. Either way, a great blog documenting how this part of Manchester was transformed into Brooklyn is at: http://captainamericafilmingmanchester.co.uk/

See more reflections at the Weekend Reflections blog: http://weekendreflection.blogspot.com/ and signs at the Signs, Signs blog:  http://signs2.blogspot.com/


16 comments:

  1. I used to work in Church Street many years ago and have walked along Dale Street many times and I don't recall seeing this sign. I think you're probably right about the film shoot.

    Dave Williams

    ReplyDelete
  2. A fascinating post, Chrissy. I know nothing of the movie but I've always been amazed at movie magic, at how reality is changed with various settings. The reflection is superb and I'm kind of hoping that the advertised music lessons were the real thing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a really cool post Chrissy. Thanks for your link as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll take the easy way lessons .... Great reflections Chrissy ..Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting shot and accompanying history

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fabulous reflection, and very interesting story!i saw the movie, and remember the mood of this street in it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. In an effort to present a logical comment, I researched some of the words on the sign to determine when the sign might have been painted.

    Easyway, I thought might be a sort of a limited fad and would tell me when this existed and hence the provinance of the sign.

    I think it-the sign- is relatively modern. I found a site called easyway pole dancing. I presume that this form of dancing is relatively modern, since mores have changed. So there is your answer. I will admit that my research is not complete so there might be room for discussion here.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have been told by a Facebook friend that he remembers seeing the music sign in the film. So I will have to get the DVD and look for myself now- though not my kind of film at all ;-) Thanks everyone for the comments.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beauty !

    Please have a good weekend ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! I love these photos!
    I so badly wish there was ANYTHING still standing that old where I live.

    ReplyDelete
  11. "Easy way" for me please, seems like a good idea! :)
    God bless you!
    Cezar

    ReplyDelete
  12. I loved this posters in the wall!

    ReplyDelete
  13. The reflection in the window is classic photo.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Interesting that they used the word 'church' instead of 'gospel' for that style of music.
    I'm sorry you weren't able to link last week for signs,signs. I find that most people have moved on to the weekend memes (and maybe I closed it too early. I check to see how long it has been since the last activity and after 10 or 12 hours I close it) I will leave this week's open and ask for preferences next week. thank you for thinking of joining in - and do so again. Love your blog and your details.

    ReplyDelete

Ratings and Recommendations by outbrain