Sunday 31 January 2016

Salford Art Gallery and museum- something for everyone #citydailyphoto #SalfordArtGallery


The revamped Salford Art gallery and Museum is amazing- a spacious cafe area with great views of some stunning architecture and Peel Park. the wonderful 19th Century street recreated from vintage Salford that you can wander about, local 19th Century paintings and other treasures plus 20C pottery and rolling exhhibits and craftwork for sale from local talent.

Yesterday I went to a sketching class run by former Art Gallery Director John Sculley, who currently has an exhibition of his own work there which I recommend. From the miners' strike to Everton football club, 1980-90s' political badges from the UK and eastern Europe and some fine pieces illustrating his love of dance, above, plus some surrealism on anti-Bliar/ Iraq/ Weapons of Mass Destruction. It is on until mid February - I urge you to visit.

It was a pleasure to be able to talk to John about his work, and fun to be sketching with 20 others around the gallery. I wasn't feeling inspired sadly and am very rusty with my art "skills"- I must work on that in 2016!






3 comments:

  1. A marvelous surprise for this refurbed gallery. Loved Sculley's pics of social observation. Will certainly be revisiting for future exhibits.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The paintings in the first shot particularly stand out to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like them all, but really like the large photo in the second group. The fingers are freakishly long.

    ReplyDelete

Ratings and Recommendations by outbrain