Wednesday 24 April 2013

ABC Wednesday: "O" is for Out in the morning



"O" is for this week's ABC Wednesday .

It's nice to be out in the morning was performed by Mancunian beat band Herman's Hermits in the late 1960s. It mentions some Manchester suburbs that had then seen better days, so I thought this 1960s tower block was a good photo to accompany the song.

"It's nice to be out in the morning when you've got somewhere to go, but seeing the same old places that can make you feel so low.

Besses o' the Barn where the brass bands blow, home of the heights where the chimneys grow. Boggart Hall Clough with its concrete flowers, it's not the Taj Mahal but it's ours.

But the town is people more than things. It's the mums and dads and kids and love that give it life.


United's ground where the champions score, a hundred goals to the reds stand's roar. And Bobby Charlton, Best and Law. It's a most fantastic day when they play.

It's nice to be out in the morning when you've got somewhere to go, but seeing the same old places that can make you feel so low.

Ardwick Green where the grass is grey, Beswick, Hulme and Harpurhey. Whalley Range where the tomcats roam; they're not the sights of Rome but it's home..."

10 comments:

  1. I didn't know the song, very interesting lyrics and great picture. The architecture reminds me somehow a kind of "Soviet architecture". I like this picture with the branches.
    great post!
    hugs
    Léia

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember seeing Herman's Hermits playing here outdoors on a warm summer night. You post brought back those fun memories.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love those lyrics, the picture goes so well. Probably reflects the life of so, so many. Great one for O.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Windows to the world...
    ROG, ABC Wednesday team

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good choice for O! Thank you!
    Have a great week.
    Wil, ABCW Team

    ReplyDelete
  6. I should be out more in the morning, lol! Last time I came at your blog, I finally realized that you were one of the first ones I was in contact with at blogger, Chrissy, but we both changed the names of our blog:):)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great shot and music for our O week.

    Leslie
    abcw team

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't recall this song at all so I took a look at the video on YouTube. I'm not sure Herman would have got away with that work shirt even in the Swinging Sixties and I wonder where that cobbled hill was where he lived? Great to see rattkles being waved at a football match too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This building looks very much like the building in the video clip Chrissy, was fun to see Herman again after so long :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. No idea about the song but I think my Mom might know it, lovely capture.

    OUTSTANDING

    I may be always late in commenting, but I am trying to catch up.
    Rose, ABC Wednesday Team.

    ReplyDelete

Ratings and Recommendations by outbrain