Tuesday 24 July 2012

Arcadia: Barton oh so British


The Barton Arcade was built in 1871 and I imagine the jingoism around the union flag raising we see here would not have been out of place back then. Likewise in other years that royal occassions were marked, such as Queen Victoria's jubilees in 1887 and 1897.

I'd surmise that there was also much celebrating and flag waving in here after the British Empire's triumphs in the Boer wars of 1881 and 1902. Yet here we are 140 years on and, while so much has changed, some attitudes around nationalism still remain entrenched in a distant past... A lovely building though.

Linking today to the Ruby Tuesday blog. My apologies for not being able to comment on people's blogs the past few days. I am travelling a lot with work this week too with little internet access, but will catch up when I back on terra firma ;-)

14 comments:

  1. They're allowed a bit of jingoism in a jubilee year! And this has nothing on a normal American holiday. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. un beau bâtiment, un peu trop de drapeaux pour mon goût

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm looking forward to seeing the arcades in Manchester when I'm there later this year. You can't beat a bit of Victorian jingoism!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry as a Mancunian living in South Africa have to admit we lost the 1st one in 1881 but won the replay

    Paul Allen

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's an old building, with lots of history!I love this picture with all beautiful flags!
    Léia

    ReplyDelete
  6. gee they really need to hang some banners and flags ;)

    beautiful old building
    I have to say I'm not much of a fan of all the banners, takes away from the building's style
    our town hall is a lovely building that they're always draping too much on

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love it!! I so long when people are patriotic!

    ReplyDelete
  8. so veddy English....your commentary was interesting, too

    ReplyDelete
  9. Goodness, the Victorian builders did love their ornate curly brackets and plaster lions, very empire!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautifully captured!

    Would you come and comment on my Ruby Tuesday post? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just gorgeous! Visiting from ruby Tuesday.

    Your comment on my Ruby Tuesday post would mean a lot!

    ReplyDelete

Ratings and Recommendations by outbrain