Thursday 11 August 2011

Manchester rain might save the day


The notorious Manchester rain that fell heavily throughout Wednesday should have helped to dampen the hooligans from further rioting in Manchester and Salford on Wednesday night.

This photo is of the 19th century Town Hall, which escaped Tuesday's riots relatively unscathed. Despite bursts of torrential rain, repairs such as these have been carried out all day across the city centre.

Neil Mutter owns the family-run jewellery shop AE Mutter, which was established in 1884, seven years after the Town Hall was completed. The shop in the Northern Quarter was damaged but he said: "I feel remarkably calm. We clean up and smile. I feel glad that the other businesses in the area haven't been targeted. Our customers have been brilliant. They have been calling in saying they have video of the people who did it and offering to help."
Mutter source:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2011/aug/10/manchester-riots-salford-arrests

Greater Manchester police report that magistrates and courts sat overnight and sentencing has begun on some of the criminals caught so far. Custodial sentences of 10 to 20 weeks have been handed out to the first few...

6 comments:

  1. I just simply don't understand that type of behavior... whether it there or here... Sometimes I'm not very happy with government policy but I don't go out and take out my feelings on the businesses in my neighborhood... sometimes I think it's just an excuse to use violence and loot to take what is not yours... I hope it stops soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I don't think many of us can understand it either Madge. In these cases it is indeed just an excuse to use violence and to loot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not the news you want to make. Sad really. Kick there a$$es!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What I have been seeing on the news is horrifying. Please stay safe!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Longing for autumn rain, I'd like to wish you all a good Friday.

    ReplyDelete

Ratings and Recommendations by outbrain