Monday 18 April 2016

Monday Mural: Starbucks- good or bad?


Taking part in Monday Mural

Starbucks is boycotted by many of us- their tax avoidance FAQ, Tax FAQ,  are at http://www.starbucks.co.uk/our-commitment  It's a shame as I'm sure when they started in Seattle in the early 1970s they were a decent independent business.Eventually they did pay more corporation tax late last year in the UK (although questions are still raised,)but only after public pressure- another victory for the people!

Personally I suggest avoiding these overly-expensive coffee chains and supporting your local independent cafes instead.







5 comments:

  1. Don't like the taste of Starbucks anyway

    ReplyDelete
  2. We "finally" got Starbucks here in Stavanger last year. But we have quite a few independent coffee places that are very popular, so I guess they have a lot of competition from smaller businesses. I don't know about the tax they are paying, but it is situated very central, so it is fairly easy to find here in Stavanger.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't drink coffee, so I never go into these anyway. We have them here, as well as a couple of competing chains for the latte crowd. Then there's Tim Hortons, which tries to market itself as the true essence of Canadiana.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Starbucks, Costa etc, serve pretty awful coffee. Independents are a better bet generally..... AND they pay their taxes! In fact if they DIDN'T pay their taxes the HMRC would drop on them like a ton of bricks - shame they don't treat the big boys the same way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Chrissy! I am a voice from the past - it's been ages and ages since I've read or written a blog, and today I'm doing both. Sad to hear this about Starbucks - especially since their start was in my home state. I rarely buy coffee anywhere, but I do stop in our local Starbucks on occasion. If you're ever coming across the pond, be sure to get in touch. I remember fondly spending the evening with you and your marvelous tour of Manchester!

    ReplyDelete

Ratings and Recommendations by outbrain