Wednesday 2 October 2013

ABC Wednesday: "L" is for Lancashire's last colliery, Astley Green


ABC Wednesday and an "L" for the last colliery in Lancashire. 

The Astley Green Colliery is situated 3 miles east of Leigh and 8 miles west of Manchester. It opened in 1910 and closed in 1970 and has been preserved as a fascinating little museum. This is run and maintained on behalf of the community by the Red Rose Steam Society Limited, a registered charity based in Lancashire. 

To see the dreadful and dangerous conditions that so many miners endured is a very moving experience that I recommend to everyone. It certainly makes you feel humble and grateful. A good read on Astley Green Colliery by JG Isherwood (1990).

8 comments:

  1. A very interesting iron structure!
    Léia

    ReplyDelete
  2. My dad was a coal-miner and I never wanted to follow in his footsteps - he got an above-ground job at the coke-ovens in the end.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is interesting, I've never heard the word colliery before, thanks for the education and the photo.

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOOKS dangerous to climb. New word for me too!
    ROG, ABC Wednesday team

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! That is one amazing structure! I don't think I'd have wanted my "man" to be a miner!

    Leslie
    abcw team

    ReplyDelete
  6. You offer us a beautiful photo today, Chrissy. I can't decide if it looks more like the Eiffel Tower or something built from a child's erector set.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very cool perspective and great word colliery.
    Ann

    ReplyDelete

Ratings and Recommendations by outbrain