Friday 5 February 2016

Heads up for Friday at @M3inds


These amazing heads were in storage at the Artwork Atelier (workshop, studio space) on Queens Road, Greengate, M3. They are laser-cut from cardboard and were made by artist Jai Redman and M3 Industries Art.

I was there for a public consultation yesterday displaying the plans (below) for a proposed 44 storey apartment block on Greengate, by Trinity Way. I think the man-in-a-suit showing me the plans was taken aback at my vocal opposition, some of which were NIMBYish views but many were not. I object because it’s too tall, would block light form other buildings and has no designated retail spaces underneath it - which I thought Salford Council had earlier said was compulsory in all new builds in the vicinity. I'd want independent retailers, cafes etc. not supermarkets or chains of course.

I also opined that it was a completely uninspiring tower block- no interesting features, innovative geometric shapes or design to it. He disagreed with me of course and doubtless it will all get built anyway. I may be lucky and still have a slight river view when it’s finished, we shall see (or not see, as the case may be). Its completion date is 2018. At least they are building a nice public walkway through to the river which will be an improvement on the current unloved underpass.

Sadly, in time, the atelier space will be demolished- probably for a 12 storey (maximum) building. Evidently it is safe "in the short term" the suit I spoke with yesterday said. I replied that hopefully there will be artists' space created within in any replacement build - or is that too much to ask?...



5 comments:

  1. This is the problem when you live in the city.
    Just be grateful they don't fill the space with windmills.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Would love to see windmills and wind turbines David but unlikely- I have a great view of them at present too, north of Bury http://mancunianwave.blogspot.co.uk/2015/11/first-snow-of-autumn-citydailyphoto.html

      Delete
  2. Do we need more shops?

    It'd be greener if people stayed home and shopped online.

    New shops in expensive city locations are notorious for attracting hobby shoppers who are not buying necessities, making their shopping related CO2 output even less excusable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Having had seen an area here just handed over to a pack of developers who ended up building big box store retail despite their promises, I've come to the conclusion that the word of a developer is worthless.

    ReplyDelete
  4. By more shops, I meant independent, artisan shops, cafes etc encouraging the local economy rather than more supermarkets...

    ReplyDelete

Ratings and Recommendations by outbrain