Monday 27 April 2015

Monday Mural: Stevenson Square women rise up...


The current crop of murals on Stevenson Square were painted this month, after a National Trust event in March, The Ladies' Room . Celebrating the radical history of Stevenson Square through Mancunian women past and present. Amy Coney is the artist and I'm waiting for confirmation of who the women are: an author and a Suffragette or two I recognise...


Sue Fox Ha what a great question! I think third from the left is Enriqueta Rylands (see my blog post http://signsiren.blogspot.co.uk/.../mrs-rylands-library...) and there may be two Pankhursts - Sylvia (?) and her mother?

Blog about the library Enriqueta Rylands built in memory of her husband in Victorian Manchester.
SIGNSIREN.BLOGSPOT.COM

Amy Coney Hi Chrissy! Thanks so much for getting in touch. The women from left to right are Annie Horniman, Elizabeth Gaskell, Enriquetta Rylands, Marie Stopes, Emmeline Pankhurst and Sunny Lowry. I am intending to paint the names on and finish the bottom edging but the weather hasn't been on my side while I've had spare time! Fingers crossed I'll get it done this weekend!
Nice blog too 

Taking part in Monday Mural.





2 comments:

  1. The mural and the entire event are doing their job to raise consciousness. Thanks for contributing to this week's Monday Mural.

    ReplyDelete

Ratings and Recommendations by outbrain