Sunday 1 March 2015

City Daily Photo Theme Day: Ageing


Julie in Sydney has chosen the City Daily Photo Theme Day topic for the first of the month. It's Ageing

Above is a 1915 postcard of Oxford St in the heart of Manchester, complete with trolley buses, a Cook's Tourist Office (Thomas Cook?) and cobblestones. How has it aged one hundred years later, after two world wars and a revolution of social change? See for yourself, below. 

Much is still surprisingly recognisable. The towers of St James Building and the Refuge Assurance building (now Palace Hotel) remain.  The cinema below left - the Paramount, later an Odeon, opened in 1930. I thought I spotted it in the postcard above but there is a similar, different building. (It's the first white building on left below, which closed in 2004 and is awaiting demolition for another bland office block). 

I would love to be able to return in another 100 years to see how this view changes, in fact I would like to return to see what all my city daily photography friends' locations look like in 2115...






17 comments:

  1. I am astounded at just how recognisable your Oxford Street still is, Chrissy. There are very few streets in my city which have changed so little in 100 years. The street alignment on the RHS appears to have been altered, perhaps to provide more lanes for the motor car. Which is a little ironical, as there are more vehicles in the 1915 postcard, that in your 2015 photograph. I agree with you about bland office buildings. The life of a modern office-tower appears to be getting shorter and shorter. Perhaps, it is just that we are slaves to the conceot of productivity, and cannot allow resources to lie idle, but need to bash 'em down just so we can build 'em up again.

    Thank you for your "Then and Now" post about Manchester. It is a post style that is particularly close to my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, this is great. I do enjoy comparing then-and now-photos!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your updated photo adds so much to the 2 views.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a brilliant post for this Ageing theme day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm swooning Chrissy, love the old photograph. I see many of the same building's, perhaps updated a bit. Perfect for today.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Perfect choice for the day, Chrissy. I loved comparing the 2 pics.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful idea to show 'Now and Then'. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. These types of images are fascinating! Always interesting to see how places change over time. This locations seems to have changed little.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I enjoyed the comparison, Chrissy. This area has endured far more successfully than many other urban environments.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Some similarities- I've been seeing other comparison shots of cities that have a stark, radical difference as of late.

    ReplyDelete
  11. These comparisons are always very interesting to see, turn it into sepia and there actually isn't a vast difference. Great stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, I love these comparisons ! Great choice !

    ReplyDelete
  13. I always enjoy the "before and after" thing. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is so cool that it looks so similar (and fantastic) after all this time. Great post Chrissy!

    ReplyDelete

Ratings and Recommendations by outbrain